Artist Statement

“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” - Mahatma Gandhi

My artwork produces a critical review on feminism and the meaning of ‘strength.’ My aim is to find out what people define ‘strength’ as and to test to see if it varies within western culture.

My practice uses text and sound. This deals with spoken discourse including repetition, recorded conversation and written textual definitions. The work questions opinions from various individuals.

My work uses sound and text because I feel that these processes are a better way of presenting my inner thoughts to outer reality, due to thoughts being shown through language. The body is used as tool for speech. Speech enables us to communicate between each other therefore the audience does not need any visual images as they can create one in their mind from what they hear.

I have been influenced by artists such as Marina Abramovic because even though she is a performance artist, her work shows the limits that she can put herself through and I feel that this shows real strength. Susan Miller is another influence, because she uses sound projected through headphones in her work to communicate ideas surrounding the theme of stories to her listeners.

So, tell me your opinion on mental strength?